2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup of full cream milk
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 whole free range eggs
1 teaspoon active / dried yeast
2 cups Orgran All Purpose plain flour
Oil (for deep frying)
Gluten free black cherry jam
- Melt the butter in the microwave (approx 20 seconds for 1000 watt oven), and take warm the milk slightly (also 20 seconds in microwave).
- Place butter, milk and sugar in a bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Add salt and vanilla.
- Check temperature of mixture: if milk is too hot it will make eggs scramble, so leave to cool. If not, add two eggs and yeast and whisk to combine.
- Add flour a ½ cup at a time until a stiff dough forms.
- Turn out on to floured surface and knead for five minutes.
- Return to bowl, cover, and place somewhere warm for an hour and a half to rise.
- Roll out dough to ½ inch / 1.5cm thickness. Using a round cutter, press out dough disks.
- Place disks on baking trays, cover, and leave in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes (they should double in size).
- Heat fryer, or fill and heat a large saucepan with enough oil to allow paczki to move freely.
- Drop packi into the oil a couple at a time. Cook for 2 minutes per side, or until quite browned.
- Drain on paper towel and leave to cool.
- Half fill a piping bag with jam.
- Cut a small slit on one side of each paczek through which the nozzle of the piping bag can pass.
- Feed the nozzle of the piping bag into the paczek as far as possible, and squeeze the bag to fill while slowly pulling it out.
- Dust paczki with icing sugar and serve.
- Check that the yeast you’re using is gluten free. Don’t substitute for fresh yeast, which can be cultured in wheat-based sugar solutions.
- Some forums and articles will claim the alcohol in vanilla essence contains gluten, since it has been processed from wheat. The process of distillation often kills the wheat proteins, so your vanilla essence is likely to be gluten free. If concerned either omit vanilla completely, or look to an alternative (like storing a split vanilla pod in your sugar, and using your vanilla sugar in this recipe).
- Ensure your jam is free of fruit pieces, else your piping nozzle will clog. And you really don’t want that. Trust me.